MUNICIPALITY: Vietri sul Mare
NAME: Church of St. Mary of the Angels (Chiesa di S. Maria degli Angeli o della Sanità)
LOCATION: Urban center
DESCRIPTION: This small, one-room church was built in 1493, next to a convalescent home founded in 1201. Renovated in 1772, it received on this occasion the marble altar, above which is the painting of the Virgin. The majolica floor was placed in 1967; in 1848, a sarcophagus to the right of the altar contained the body of Marquis Gherardo Caracciolo di Martino.
SEE, VISIT, FIND: The church is open during celebrations.
FRUITION DATA: None
BIBLIOGRAPHY: TESAURO A., Fonti e documenti per la storia di Vietri dalle origini al periodo normanno, Salerno 1984.
CAFFARO A.- GARGANO G., Costiera Amalfitana, guida storico-artistica, Salerno 1979.